Lemon Braised Lamb Shanks
- In a large rondo, heat oil over medium-high heat; add shanks in batches and brown on all sides.
- Remove shanks; hold.
- Add onions and garlic to pan; continue to cook, stirring often, until slightly caramelized, about 6 minutes.
- Mix in thyme and cumin; continue cooking 2 minutes.
- Add wine and bring to a boil; reduce mixture by half. Stir in stock, lemon juice and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Return browned shanks to pot in an even layer; cover and simmer over very low heat 3 hours or until very tender.
- Remove shanks from braising liquid; place in hotel pan, cover and refrigerate.
- Chill pot with braising liquid. Remove layer of fat from top of liquid and discard.
- Return pot with braising liquid to stove top and bring to a boil; reduce mixture by half .
- Adjust seasonings. Stir in lemon zest; keep warm.
- Heat lamb shanks covered in a low oven when ready to serve.
- Lemon-Spinach Fettuccini: In a bowl, toss together hot fettuccini, spinach, oil, lemon zest and pepper until mixed. Cover; keep warm.
In bottom of large soup plate, mound 1 cup of Lemon-Spinach Fettuccini and top with 1 hot lamb shank. Ladle 1/2 cup braising liquid over top and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chives.