Braised Lamb Shanks
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Season lamb shanks with salt. Heat a Dutch oven or an oven-proof, thick-bottomed, pot with a tight fitting cover on medium high heat on the stovetop. Add the olive oil and brown the lamb shanks in the casserole pan on all sides. Remove shanks to a dish.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add potatoes and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, lamb shanks, and herbs (except for the mint).
- If using, add the sherry and raisins; bring the sherry to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat, cover the pot and bake in the oven for 1 1/2 or 2 hours or until shanks are tender.
- Remove the shanks, strip the meat from the bones and return the meat to the pan.
- Serve with fresh mint leaves as garnish.